HEALTHY CARROT, ORANGE, GINGER SOUP (serves 4)
Need a little warmth? This healthy carrot, orange, ginger soup has all the nutrients and will also warm you up during the cold winter months, and even into springtime! Some vitamin C from the orange, the natural warmth of ginger, and vitamin A and Beta-carotene from the carrots! Perfect combination!
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large brown onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
500g carrots, peeled and chopped
Pinch of salt, or to taste
1 orange, zest and juice
5cm piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced and chopped or finely grated
1 litre vegetable stock
To serve healthy carrot, orange, ginger soup
Plain yoghurt/sour cream/Crème Fraiche/ fresh coriander/fresh parsley/toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- In a large soup pot or stock pot, over medium heat, fry the onion and celery in the coconut oil until the onion is translucent and soft (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, thyme and bay leaf, until the garlic is fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add the carrots and a pinch of salt, and cook for about 10 minutes till they start to caramelise slightly.
- Add the orange zest, ginger, stock and water and cook till the carrots are soft enough to blend (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove the pot from the heat, and either blend the ingredients with a stick blender or carefully pour the liquid and vegetables in batches in a food processor.
- Add the orange juice, and blend it in the soup mix.
- If preferred add more water at this stage to thin the soup further, or leave as is.