- 175g fine quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place wire rack in middle of oven and preheat 150º C.
- Place chopped chocolate into a heatproof bowl.
- Place cream, milk, espresso powder and a small pinch of salt into a small heavy pot and bring just to a boil stirring continuously to dissolve the espresso powder.
- Pour over the chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- In another bowl whisk together egg yolks, sugar and another small pinch of salt and then add warm chocolate mixture in a slow stream whisking constantly.
- Pour custard through a fine mesh sieve and cool completely, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Divide custards among ramekins.
- Place custards into a large enough pan and pour water into the pan halfway up the sides of the ramakin to make a water bath. Cover pan with a sheet of foil and poke several holes in the foil with a skewer.
- Bake until custards are set around the edges but still slightly wobbly in centres, 25 – 35 minutes.
- Transfer ramekins to a cooling rack to cool completely, uncovered for about 1 hour (custards will set as they cool.)