If you are anything like me, the beginning of the year is long forgotten and with this my 2019 goals… my New Year’s resolution is to make 2019 the year of the BODY! January started with a vengeance and all good intentions … no sugar, do more exercise, no caffeine and yes… even no alcohol (or at least during the week)! The first few weeks started out with a “bang”! I was lost not only weight but centimeters too, following a healthy eating plan, my skin was looking better and I was feeling great. And then what… daily work stress, pressures of juggling time with family, friends and home got in the way and slowly my dreams of my new body started fading away.
With each day I have found the old habits slowly starting to creep back in… swapping out the herbal tea for coffee to keep awake, ordering take away food as I have had no time to cook, finding excuses for less exercise and more tv time. It’s tough and we are not perfect so here is what I have done to reclaim the year of the body and get back on track:
- I have stopped being hard on myself – we are not perfect. I have stopped beating myself up if I have a cheat day.
- Do not be extreme – be realistic with the goals you set for yourself.
- Do exercise that you enjoy and build it into your weekly plan. Make plans with friends to walk, run, gym together – this helps motivate you to stick to your plan.
- Be organized and keep your pantry stocked with foods and drinks that feed and nourish your body.
- Breathe deeply and when stress is overwhelming take five minutes to refocus yourself.
- And last and most importantly … be kind to yourself – recognize your wins and be good to yourself.