Since ancient times, the Japanese created Binchotan, charcoal sticks that could fertilize soil, remove odours, and purify drinking water. What started out as a byproduct of cooking, became a useful item in its own right. Many years and several continents away, Darrin and Camilla Morrisby were going through many plastic filters per year, and knew there had to be a better way. They discovered Binchotan, and something clicked for them. They connected with a producer who makes it in the old way, by exposing wood first to very low temperatures, then in temperatures of up to 1000ºC, which causes the wood pores to enlarge, and the wood carbonises and activates its unique properties. The charcoal is removed from the kiln after 1-2 weeks, then covered in a mixture of earth, sand and ash, giving it a temporary white colour, and its name – white charcoal. Once cooled, it is hand cut and ready for use. This was the birthplace of Kuro-Bo charcoal filters.
Key benefits of your Kuro-Bo charcoal filter:
- Simple, cartridge-free design
- Removes bacteria (e.Coli)
- Purifies ordinary tap water in a 100% eco-friendly way
- Draws out toxins & chemicals, including chlorine, lead & mercury
- Balances the water’s pH level
- Enriches every glass of water with minerals like calcium & magnesium
- Improves the taste of your tap water
- 1 charcoal stick lasts up to 3 months
- Sticks & packaging are 100% recyclable
- Charcoal sticks also make excellent dehumidifiers & deodorisers in damp areas of your home
- Used charcoal sticks can be repurposed as garden fertiliser
- Remove the Kuro-Bo stick from its packaging & boil it in a shallow pan of tap water for 10 minutes.
- Allow the stick to cool, then fill your water cooler or container with up to 2L of tap water. Insert the single Kuro-Bo stick. (For larger volumes of water, simply add more Kuro-Bo sticks.)
- For best results, allow the stick to rest for at least 6 – 8 hours or overnight, either at room temperature or in the fridge.
- After one month of daily use, Reactivate your charcoal stick. Simply boil it again for 10 minutes, allow it to cool, and reuse as before. Repeat again after 2 months of daily use.
- After 3 months of daily use, recycle & replace the stick.