This enough for a 4kg bird to serve 8-10
6 litres of water (approximately)
125g table salt
3 tbsp black peppercorns
6 sprigs of thyme
6 sprigs of rosemary
4 bay leaves
2 tbsp allspice berries
4 tbsp crushed mustard seeds
1 cup treacle sugar
2 onions, peeled and sliced
10cm ginger, chopped coarsely
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp caraway seeds
6 star anise
2 oranges, chopped
1. In a large pot or bucket, add all the ingredients except the turkey and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
2. Remove trussing and giblets from the turkey and reserve.
3. Wash and pat dry the bird before soaking in the liquid for up to two days.
4. Keep covered whilst soaking.
5. Towel dry turkey and let it sit for at least an hour before roasting. It must be room temperature before you start.