SPICY PUMPKIN SOUP
Preparation: 15 minutes, Cooking: 25 minutes, Total: 40 minutes
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1.2kg approx. pumpkin, peeled, roughly chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 500ml water
- 10-15cm strip orange rind, no pith
- 1 large Grannysmith apple, peeled and grated
- Serve with cinnamon, or tahini and lightly toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, cook the onion, stirring till soft.
- Add the garlic, spices and herbs, and cook till fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin, stock, water and rind, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes till the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from the heat.Remove the cinnamon stick, orange rind and bay leaves, add the grated apple and blend or process smooth.
- Return the soup over low heat, stir to heat through.
- Serve with a pinch of ground cinnamon over the sour cream, or a tablespoon of tahini and lightly toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.